In our relentless pursuit of Black Progress, we’ve decided to bring you knowledge and consciousness in a special way. Each week, we’ll present a little known ancestor of Black Excellence, those that were never taught in schools. But we won’t be presenting you random facts that serve as little more than trivia knowledge. We’re going to insist that you apply this knowledge. These efforts will contribute to overcoming 3 out of the 12 Obstacles to Black Progress: Education, Identity, and Unity.
Each Weekly Role Model post format will break down like this:
- Introduction of Black hero, hailing from varied parts of the African Diaspora
- Admirable achievements and contributions in life
- Qualities that made them great and were key to their success
- A dare to emulate the traits of the ancestor, then report back on your results
- Commit each week’s role model and his or her key traits to memory
- Meditate on the ancestor’s story and how you can channel their greatness in your daily life
- Share your thoughts and experience directly on our platform or social media
You may be saying to yourself, “Oh, OK. So this is just another gimmicky way to learn the same old Black History.” If this is you, you could not be more incorrect.
Learning about each week’s Weekly Role Model, reflecting, then emulating represents intentional application, a technique that will reinforce memory recall and relevance. In other words, by completing the activities above, what you learn each week will stick with you longer and actually make a difference and improvement in your life.
What we accomplish today, is possible only because we stand on the shoulders of giants. Let’s emulate Our Past to ensure Our Future. Let’s be great. It’s in Our DNA.